League of Legends Sound Not Working (FIXED)
League of Legends is one of the most popular MOBA games played today. Installing the game is simple enough. It takes time to learn the ropes, figure out the characters you want to play, the skills that you should level up, and how to battle in the arena. The game has grown over time so there’s a lot to learn.
While learning to play the game takes time, setting it up is usually no problem. You download the game installer, and it downloads the files it needs to set up the client. You’re ready to play in an hour, or less, depending on your internet connection’s speed.
If you’ve been playing the game for a while, and suddenly lose sound, there may be multiple reasons behind it. For the most part, the fix should be simple.
League of Legends sound not working [FIX]
If you’ve suddenly lost sound when playing League of Legends, whether its the in-game sounds or chat sounds, make sure you first restart the game, and your PC before you try anything else.
Check system sound
If you’re getting no sound in the game but the sound works fine otherwise, check the Volume Mixer.
- Right-click the speaker icon in the system tray.
- Select Open Volume Mixer.
- Check the volume mixer to make sure the volume for the game isn’t turned all the way down. If it is, turn it up and your sound will start working again.
Check volume on physical device
If you’re using a headset when playing League of Legends, it is possible you’ve turned the volume on it down. There’s no way to check for it other than to investigate your headset. If you see a wheel on it, scroll it to see if the sound starts working.
Check in-game sound settings
League of Legends has its own sound settings, as all games do. It has an option to turn all sound off, as well as to mute a particular sound in the game.
- Open League of Legends.
- Once in a game (but before it starts), tap the Escape key.
- The game’s settings will open. Go to the Sound tab.
- Go through each slider and make sure nothing is set to zero.
- Scroll to the very end, and make sure ‘Disable all sound‘ is not checked.
- If you’ve changed any of the sound settings, make sure you restart the game.
Logitech Audio Devices
If you’re using a Logitech audio device, you might have a very specific problem. You need to change the sound settings for the device.
- Make sure your headset is connected to your PC.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Go to Hardware and Sound.
- Select Sound.
- Go to the Playback tab.
- Select your device and click the ‘Configure‘ button.
- Click Next on the first screen that you see, and under Operational Speakers, uncheck everything.
- Under Full-range speakers, uncheck Front Left and right.
- Restart your PC.
Check for gaming software
There are a lot of apps geared towards improving game performance; Nvidia has one and Logitech has one. Check its sound settings. It is possible that it’s taken over your sound controls. In that case, you need to access the sound settings for any such software that’s installed. View the audio device that it’s using and make sure it’s the correct one. Alternatively, disable it and restart League of Legends. The game itself may not play nice with software like this.
Update sound drivers
Sound problems, regardless of what they are, are often fixed by updating sound drivers.
- Open the Device Manager.
- Expand the Sound, Video, and Game Controller devices.
- Right-click the Realteck audio device and select Update Driver.
- Install any driver updates that are available, and restart your PC.
Reinstall the game
Game files can be corrupted through no fault of the player. Sometimes, updating the game will fix it but if you’re running the latest version of League of Legends, you might have to reinstall the game. You will have to first uninstall it.
- First, download the installer for League of Legends here. Now that you have the installer, you can uninstall the game.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Go to Programs.
- Select Uninstall a Program.
- Select the game and click Uninstall.
- Once the game has been uninstalled, run the installer that you downloaded and install the game again.
League of Legends runs smoothly on Windows 10. Problems on it are rare and when everything fails, a reinstall of the game will fix whatever is wrong with it. That said, if you’re having trouble with audio on your system, the game may not be at fault. Fix the sound problems for your PC before you dive into app or game-specific audio issues and you’ll have better success with the fix. It’s highly likely that once the sound problems on your system are resolved, the game’s own sound problems go away.